Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    Name the tree.

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Name the tree.
 Login/Join 
posted
I wish I was smart enough to post a picture.
I would like to know the name of a tree. Common name please :-). The tree was probably planted 20 to 25 years ago. It is about 25 to 30 feet tall ( 7 to 9 meters), evergreen, at its thickest probably 1 yard (1 meter) wide. The branches are very thick - you cannot see through the tree. Dark green in color. Presently growing well in Southern California.

Posts: 6 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: Tuesday November 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
southern magnolia

Posts: 56 | Location: Auckland, NZ | Registered: Monday March 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a evergreen tree and its overall width including the branches and needles is very close to 1 yead. I.e. 2 people can reach around the whole tree (not just the trunk)and touch fingertips or very close to that.
Thanks for your efforts they are very much appreciated.

Posts: 6 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: Tuesday November 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
get a field guide tree book and you will find out what it is

your welcome its about $14.00

Posts: 15 | Location: otterbein IN | Registered: Friday November 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My interest lies in politics. That's my hobby, keeping the politicians honest. If you had a simple question about it I would answer it free usually. In your case it will cost $14.
Anybody care to help me?

<terry>
posted
I know a politician, he's slightly shorter than average, white...oh and he has hair. Wondering if you could tell me his name.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Methinks there would be about 10,000,000 of them. Can you narrow it down a bit?

posted Hide Post
George dubblya Bush

Posts: 56 | Location: Auckland, NZ | Registered: Monday March 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you found the answer to your question. Perhaps you can furnish the answer to mine. What is with this? If you don't know the answer just say so or better yet do something else.

posted Hide Post
The only thing that comes to mind is an Italian Cypress.

Shaped like rocket?

Unless topped, then it may have a flat top.

Search Google for "Italian Cypress" and use the images tab?

Yes?

--------------------
M. D. Vaden of Oregon
Certified Landscape Tech / Arborist

www.mdvaden.com

Posts: 9 | Location: Oregon, USA | Registered: Tuesday September 02, 2003Report This Post
RCA #354
BCMA #PD0008b
Administrator
posted Hide Post
OrangeCounty:

The problem here is that there are literally hundreds of species of trees, both native and non-native, that could fit the brief description. We need a little more information to narrow down the possibilities.

If you can answer some of these questions, maybe we can help.

1. Height of tree
2. Diameter of trunk near the base
3. Recently planted?
4. Needles: length, stiff or soft, number in a cluster

You can post up to 3 images in an album by selecting the “New” button at the top of this page, then selet New Album. Follow the prompts to post pictures from your computer. Please make sure they are in one of the allowed formats, and that the file size is relatively small (100 to 300 KB is recommended). With all that information, it’s likely someone will recognize the tree.

--------------------
--
Russ Carlson, RCA, BCMA

Posts: 287 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I only know of about 1 or 2 trees that are only about 1 yd. or 1 meter wide. That's like a rocket.

There 3 rough answers listed. 25' high, only 3 feet wide and maybe 20 to 25 years old.

Even weeping giant sequoia is hard pressed to stay in that tight of a boundary.

The dark green and so thick that it can't be seen through seems to rule out lombardy poplar too.

An old arborvitae is one that may fit. I've seen one up to 40' tall which retained a single stem - about 50 years old. It was about 4' wide.

Maybe southern California has some species I've never seen before that are that tall and narrow.

--------------------
M. D. Vaden of Oregon

www.mdvaden.com

Posts: 9 | Location: Oregon, USA | Registered: Tuesday September 02, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
No response from the Orange County CA person yet, but here's another one that came to mind: Irish Yew.

I've seen quite a few which fit the size and shape.

Two are outside our front door, and I'm surprised those didn't come to mind before.

--------------------
M. D. Vaden of Oregon

www.mdvaden.com