Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    payment first ????

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
payment first ????
 Login/Join 
posted
ive done only a few arborist reports since ive been an arborist.And have a contractor thats asked me to write a report on a job site with perposed house @ pool placement ect im a little beside my self i dont feel they would like the contents of my report(added $ to progect )or not getting progect approval! do i ask for payment of the report before i hand it to them? so that i dont have to worry abought payment? Roll Eyes ?????

Posts: 4 | Registered: Friday December 01, 2006Report This Post
RCA #354
BCMA #PD0008b
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of consulting. Yes, you should get your payment up front, or at least at the time you deliver it. You should have a statement in your contract (yes, you should have a contract before you start) that says payment of your fees is NOT contingent on any outcome or recommendations. You get your money wherther they like it or not.

There should not be any surprises in your report. Tell them up front what your report will say. And keep in mind that they hired you to do an honest and unbiased report for them. They need to know what you have to say, even if it will cost them more. The builder’s costs will probably be passed on. And they don’t have to follow your recommendations if they choose not to. Your recommendations are probably intended to help preserve existing trees, so they have to decide- cheap now and loose the trees later, or save the trees at a little more expense now.

Don’t feel bad about giving them “bad news”. That is what you are paid to do. And don’t be afraid of asking for your money. As businessmen, they understand (or at least they should) that they have to pay for the service they need.

Good luck

--------------------
--
Russ Carlson, RCA, BCMA

Posts: 287 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you RUSS i apresheate your repley. BC

Posts: 4 | Registered: Friday December 01, 2006Report This Post