Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    Tree roots and supplying limbs

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Tree roots and supplying limbs
 Login/Join 
posted
As I understand it as a general rule in oaks is the roots on one side of the tre supply the limbs on the same side. If this is true root damage would be seen in limbs on the same side. Conversely if a large number of limbs were removed on one side would the roots on that same side sinese back or die therefore less support?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Thursday May 25, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say you are right, as trees with root damage on one side have dieback on that side but as is mother nature this seems to only be a general rule and a tree will spread resources around as it sees fit, depending on circumstances. I would suggest that the roots would die back on that side but not overnight. The tree may keep the majority alive assuming it will generate new growth (the roots are a storage mechanism, so an integral part of the new growth) If the damage were large areas of death (lightning) the tree would start to react to the lack of support over time with reactive growth in the living part of the root system. All this is based on the fact that a tree is not highly likely to fall over if half the crown is cut off in most circumstances.

Posts: 56 | Location: Auckland, NZ | Registered: Monday March 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Kit

thanks for the info.

Robin

Posts: 5 | Registered: Thursday May 25, 2006Report This Post