Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    What happened to lindens

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What happened to lindens
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi colleagues,
Could you help me with this case:
location – Moscow, Russia;
weather conditions – too warm and rainy for a normal November and December, in fact, the warmest and the rainiest for the whole period of observations; too early spring; too hot for may, in fact, the strongest drought for the whole period of observations;
problem trees – Tilia cordata (one tree, not planted) and T. americana (one tree, recently planted);
symptoms – T. cordata looks like an elm in acute form of DED (only looks like – it didn’t get its normal fall leaf color and didn’t shed its leaves in fall, now it’s alive), T. americana looks like it is injured by 2,4 D-based herbicide or something like that; other lindens in the area don’t show this symptoms, in fact, I’ve never seen such symptoms on lindens before (I work from 1992), nor my employee (she works from 1978);
client says he’d never used herbicide or any other –cide.

I have photos of their general views and leaves and I try to attach some of them:

ImageÐипа_Ñ._длÑ_поÑÑа.jpg (167 Kb, 229 downloads) T. cordata general view

Posts: 9 | Location: Russia | Registered: Saturday February 19, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This is T. cordata leaves:

ImageTilia_cordata_leaves_01.jpg (288 Kb, 250 downloads)

Posts: 9 | Location: Russia | Registered: Saturday February 19, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tilia cordata 'leaf'

ImageTilia_cordata_leaves_02.jpg (206 Kb, 307 downloads)

posted Hide Post
T.c. twig

ImageTilia_cordata_leaves_03_small.jpg (109 Kb, 202 downloads)

posted Hide Post
T. americana leaf

ImageTilia_americana_case_01.jpg (160 Kb, 207 downloads)

posted Hide Post
T. a. branch and stem

ImageTilia_americana_case_02.jpg (201 Kb, 202 downloads)

posted Hide Post
T. a. twig

ImageTilia_americana_case_03.jpg (171 Kb, 481 downloads)

posted Hide Post
T. a. general view

ImageTilia_americana_case_04_small.jpg (177 Kb, 202 downloads)

RCA #354
BCMA #PD0008b
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This looks very much like phenoxy herbicide damage, such as 2,4-D. The epinasty or curling of the leaves and the long pointed spikes at the edges are characteristic of this type of herbicide. Is it possible someone tried to poison the tree?

Not much you can do to treat this problem. Activated charcoal can be psread around the tree, if the herbicide was broacast over a wide area. Water only sparingly, and only when necessary. Do not apply fertilizers or other soil treatments for at least one year. Stimulating the tree could make it worse.

--------------------
--
Russ Carlson, RCA, BCMA

Posts: 287 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Report This Post