Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Ask the Experts    Mossy green substance on trunk and branches

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mossy green substance on trunk and branches
 Login/Join 
<Jeff from Michigan>
posted
When I purchased our new home 3 years ago,I initially thought I had moss growing on the trunk of my tree, but after thining out my trees to allow more sunlight through, the problem has gotten progressively worse. It covers the trunk and several main branches on two different trees. A few of our neighbor's trees also have this green substance on them. Could it be scales? I had scales on a new magnolia tree, which I successfully eradicated.

Report This Post
<Wayne Cahilly>
posted
Hi Jeff,

Sounds like Lichens more than scale. Lichens are a symbiotic relationship (mutually beneficial)between a fungus and an alga. They are not harmful. Worth taking a sample to the local garden center for them to have a look-seen none the less.

Report This Post