Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Arboricultural Literature    Field and Lab Guide to Tree Pathology

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Field and Lab Guide to Tree Pathology
 Login/Join 
<Tom Watson>
posted
I just learned about the book "Field and Laboratory Guide to Tree Pathology," by Blanchard and Tattar. A reviewer on Amazon.com rates it as "second only to Shigo," and indispensable. I'd appreciate any other comments. It sounds like helpful resource. Thanks for your responses.

Keep looking up!
Tom

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Tom Watson, on May 25, 2000 at 11:06:13:

I have used this book for over 15 years (1st edition) and have always found it useful, especially when I was learning the fundamentals of pathology. It is written as a student's guide, but is easy to read and understand. It gives some basic instruction on laboratory practices, and instruction on collecting, preparing and preserving samples. I have a link to it on my Book Shop page.

[Remember that ANY books or other merchandise ordered from Amazon through the Book Shop on this site will generate a contribution to the ISA Research Trust. Make this your source for books and music! You get the books you need, the Research Trust and trees get some much needed help, at no extra cost to you.]

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on May 25, 2000 at 11:06:13:

I was looking through the Field & Lab Guide today, at the section on tree appraisal (p 16). They present the TF from the Eighth Edition, along with a few caveats about being familiar with the Guide. The Selected References refers to:
International Society of Arboriculture (1992) . . . .rather than the CTLA

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on May 27, 2000 at 22:23:55:

Russ, this must be a later edition?

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Russ Carlson, on May 25, 2000 at 11:06:13:

I came across my 1981 1st Edition while searching through boxes for another book. I don't use it anymore - I rely on pathologists - but it's a worthwhile reference. There are lots of disease guides - texts, color plate books, state or university control recommendations - but they don't usually have the lab technique stuff like microscopy and sterile technique.

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on June 06, 2000 at 22:05:50:

I checked and 1st Edition 1981 refers to Guide 1975 Revision 3 (i.e. 4th Edition).

Report This Post