Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Arboricultural Literature    whos read this book

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
whos read this book
 Login/Join 
<Guy Meilleur>
posted
"Fungal Strategies of Wood Decay in Trees", by Schwarze, Maatheck et al.
Has anyone read it?

Report This Post
<Scott Culen>
posted
Reply to post by Guy Meilleur, on February 04, 2002 at 21:38:53:

Mattheck has talked about it in his last two US lecture tours. He describes it as "the body language of fungi." He cautions that general principles may apply but that the specific fungi discussed are German species.

Some of this is supposed to be published in Arnoldia (the journal of the Arnold Arboretum at Harvard) and in the Arboricultural Journal (UK), but I haven't seen either yet.

Do you have a full citation and where this bok is available?

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Culen, on February 04, 2002 at 21:38:53:

Oops. I reviewed my notes and the two articles in press are about h/d relationships not the fungi book.

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Scott, on February 05, 2002 at 07:13:29:

Scott, amazon.com shows 15 pg., table of contents and sample pages. It looked useful enough for my moderate level of understanding of pathology.
Some fungi sp. are same, some not.
amazon was no cheaper than local store so I ordered it from them. I plan on reading it as part of grad study on developing a protocol for treating pathogens. Maybe submit a review of it to the trade journals; wonder if Arborist News will pay...

Selling the concept of treatment is no bed of sawdust.
If one more person tells me the only thing to do with buttrotters is cut the tree down I'll stick the saw ...never mind.
Reminds me of trying to present a treatment protocol for lightning damage to ISA. (What WAS the lightning workshop about in Milwaukee?) "Not scientific proof" they said; well, I never alleged it was, but aren't science-based treatment options for lightning, fungi, etc. worth talking about without them being controlled research?
How could one set up an experiment PROVING that a tree's recovery was due to the treatment when there are so many other factors involved?

Report This Post