Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Arboricultural Literature    Another threat to French trees

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Another threat to French trees
 Login/Join 
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Fleming, Charles, 2000. "France's Tradition of Sylvan streets Threatened by Road-Safety Campaign." Wall Street Journal. Monday, Jan. 31, 2000. P. B9A.

A growing incidence of fatalities and serious injuries as sppeding motorists crash into roadside trees has prompted a campaign to cut them all down as intolerable "Lateral Obstacles." There was even a conference in Paris about LO's! There is also outraged backlash against the campaign. The controversy is heightened by the recent catastrophic storm losses of trees.

The article might be on-line at http://www.wsj.com, but I have not checked.

Report This Post
<Jerry Bond>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on January 31, 2000 at 14:12:51:

Hi Scott --

Here is a recent European document on the damage, with interesting numbers and all the rest.

http://www.unece.org/trade/timber/storm/storm.htm

Report This Post
<Colin Bashford>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on January 31, 2000 at 14:12:51:

Gosh... Scott I thought at first you were referring to my trip over there next week!!!!!!!!

Colin

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Colin Bashford, on January 31, 2000 at 14:12:51:

Word on the street is they tremble at your approach!

Seriously, this second story reflects something I'm seeing with increasing frequency both in the world art large and within the tree care community. That is intertwining and sometimes conflicting views of trees. "Save them all and move the people out" on the one hand and "cut them all down before they kill somebody (or crack somebody's foundation or stop somebody's wildly out of control car)" on the other. I suppose it's the understandable result of an ever increasing population mixing with an ever more litigious western society and an increasing longing for the "good old days."

Informed management is what we need more of.

Report This Post
<Colin Bashford>
posted
Reply to post by Scott, on February 01, 2000 at 17:46:42:

Scott - spot on I could not agree more but where is Utopia? If I found it I would also have find another form of work or a source of income. Perhaps I could sell tickets at the entrance!!!

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by Colin Bashford, on February 02, 2000 at 05:58:14:

I think the margins are better in food and beverage than in ticket selling. I suspect you'd have more fun running the pub anyway!

Report This Post
<JPS>
posted
Reply to post by Scott, on February 01, 2000 at 17:46:42:

And here I'm recomending people plant them as beriers hwere traffic could come into their house!

Report This Post