Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Arboricultural Literature    A book question

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
A book question
 Login/Join 
<Tom Watson>
posted
I'm interested in purchasing "Trees for Urban and Suburban Landscape," by Edward F. Gilman, and would like to know if folks who have it find it interesting and useful. I'm particularly interested in info it contains about specific species. Besides wanting to build my base of general per-species information, I'm particularly interested in specific macro and micro nutrient element needs of different trees. I will appreciate recommendations for other books containing specific tree information also.

I've been trying to find a copy of "The Body Language of Trees," by C. Mattheck, as was kindly recommended in an earlier post, but having difficulty tracking down a copy. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy it. Thanks for all the help. This is the most civil, knowledgeable and useful arboriculture web site in the universe and beyond. Keep looking up, Tom

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Tom Watson, on March 17, 2000 at 10:48:36:

Gilman spoke at the PennDel chapter conference this Winter. One of the presentations was about specific nutrient responses in new plantings (N, P & K, don't recall about micros). Don't know if the research is reflect in in the book you're intereseted in or in more recent articles.

Report This Post
<Mark Goodwin>
posted

Tom, in case you haven't found the Silvics site, I'll send the URL. This web based reference is highly detailed for many trees, mostly native species of the North American Continent. Soil adaptations are included, and some info about response to limiting nutrients, pH, etc.
http://willow.ncfes.umn.edu/silvics_manual/Table_of_contents.htm

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by Mark Goodwin, on March 17, 2000 at 10:48:36:

A word of caution about the Silvics Manual. Bear in mind that the data presented represents broad averages for natural forest trees. Ornamental and landscape plants can vary tremendously in elemental content (tissue analysis).

The main problem with current knowledge is that the accumulated data is not centralized or coordinated, and records are inadequate. Although a lot of good labs have analyzed many samples, there is no control on what trees are being tested, so the data is not completely reliable as a base for interpretation.

If anyone has a few million dollars laying around, we could work up a good project on this topic.

Report This Post
<Wayne>
posted

I think Matthecks book is available from American Arborist Supply in Westchester, PA. Should be able to find them in the phone directory.

Report This Post