Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Arboricultural Literature    Stem diametercrown volume

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Stem diametercrown volume
 Login/Join 
<mike ellison>
posted
I am looking for data correlating stem diameter with crown volume/biomass. Can you help with references? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mike Ellison

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Mike Ellison, on April 17, 2000 at 17:20:10:

Mike,

I've been looking and haven't found anything. I'd think the relationship would be very Species, age and site related.... though I'll double check Mattheck, he might suggest that Species is not a factor.

I've actually been looking a step farther back in the analysis.... formulae or protocols for determining crown volume.

Scott

Report This Post
<Wayne>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on April 17, 2000 at 17:20:10:

Sounds like this is a question for a terrestrial ecologist. I'll poke around NYBG and see if I can get any leads. Calculating biomass is one of the standard steps in forest ecology but we in arboriculture haven't had to deal with it much in the past.

Report This Post
<Wayne Cahilly>
posted
Reply to post by Wayne, on April 18, 2000 at 06:44:26:

Ok, here's a quick course in allometry, the study of the size relationship between one part of a plant and another, most frequently dbh / total biomass.

Since species vary in major ways, the method used is to select the allometric equations that best fit the species in question. The following link is to a student project at Yale School of Forestry working with Sassafras and some other species. One of our Horticulture staff was a student in this project and gave me the link. Keep in mind, it is a student project and does not cover all aspects of the subject.

http://www.yale.edu/fes519b/totoket/allom/allom.htm

Enjoy!!

Wayne

Report This Post
<mike ellison>
posted
Reply to post by Wayne Cahilly, on April 19, 2000 at 09:03:30:

Thankyou all for your comments. The Sassafras link was particularly helpful.

Report This Post