Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Arboricultural Literature    Lifespan of Liquid Amber trees

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Lifespan of Liquid Amber trees
 Login/Join 
<R McKenzie>
posted
How long does a liquid amber live? Mine has had a substantial section torn out of it in a storm in 1990 and then again this week. Nobody was injured but the branches were about a foot and a half in diameter and could have killed someone. I am worried about a structural weakness and a possible serious accident in the next storm. I don't want to lose the tree altogether and think maybe it could be lopped back to about half its height to make it less liable to break off large and heavy branches. Will this work? Or is it a waste of time as it is old anyway? It was fully grown when we arrived here 25 years ago.

Report This Post
<Russ Carlson>
posted
Reply to post by R McKenzie, on December 08, 2001 at 00:21:42:

The question is not how long they can live, but what condition the tree is in now. Once a limb is broken decay begins in the tree. It may have even started much earlier than the first broken limb. Decay spreads slowly in the tree, but continues to weaken it.

With a history of failure, there is undoubtedly a structural problem. I strongly advise that you have the tree inspected by a competent arborist.

The American Society of Consulting Arborists can recommend highly qualified arborists and consultants in your area. Their web site and database is at

http://www.asca-consultants.org

or contact the main office at

American Society of Consulting Arborists
15245 Shady Grove Road
Suite 130
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 947-0483

The International Society of Arboriculture maintains a current list of ISA Certified Arborists. The searchable list can be accessed at the ISA Web site, at:
http://www.isa-arbor.com

Report This Post