Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Trees & Law    Topping for Vista's

Closed Topic Closed
Topping for Vista's
By not paying attention to my neighbor's property line I accidently topped 3 of his Pinyon pines 3'-4' and 4"-8" dia. He want's restitution and is bringing in landscape and tree and brush revoval companies to come up with an appraisal for replacement cost. What formula for valuation can I use to come up with a fair price for the topping of these tree's and so he dosn't take me for a ride.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Tuesday February 28, 2006Report This Post
RCA #354
BCMA #PD0008b
posted Hide Post
There are several approaches to this problem, Steve. You could wait to see what your neighbor asks for, and negotiate from there. You might find it reasonable. Alternatively, hire your own consultant. Go to the American Society of Consulting Arborists web site and check the referral list for qualified consulting arborists in your area.

Replacement may not be the only option. Depending on location, size and species of tree, the actual damage may not be very much. Conversely, it could be significant, depending on those factors. Professional help is really necessary if the amount involved is large.

Also, are there any local ordinances that protect your views? Many cities and municipalities have regulations that require neighbors to maintain their trees so they don’t interfere with another person’s views. This could significantly affect your case.

Contact a consultant, and be sure to give all the information about who is involved and where. You don’t want to end up with someone your neighbor has already hired. A good consultant will refuse that anyway, due to conflict of interest.

Russ Carlson, RCA, BCMA
Posts: 287 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Report This Post