Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Trees & Law    Ficus trees

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Ficus trees
 Login/Join 
<Moshe Klien>
posted
My neigbohr planted 20 Ficus trees in a line 5 feet from my house and intend to let them grow to 30 feet. All indications are that there will a root damage issue in the future.
Is there banything I can do today (there is HOA involved)

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Moshe Klien, on April 24, 2003 at 01:27:44:

My neigbohr planted 20 Ficus trees in a line 5 feet from my house and intend to let them grow to 30 feet. All indications are that there will a root damage issue in the future.
Is there banything I can do today (there is HOA involved)

1. What will be damaged by the roots? Is that future damage offset by the benefit the trees will provide your property?
You can prune the roots as they extend into your property by trenching. done early in the tree's life, damage to the whole tree may not be bad.
You can ask your neighbor to train the roots downward by deeply aerating the soil up to the line and on the other side of the trees. Have you talked to them about this?

Check HOA rules/covenants.

Report This Post
<Moshe Klien>
posted
Reply to post by Guy, on April 24, 2003 at 01:27:44:

Root may damage common wall, my hardscape and the house foundation
Talked to the neigbohr, he is not open to any sugestion

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by moshe Klien, on April 24, 2003 at 20:35:27:

Root may damage common wall, my hardscape and the house foundation
Talked to the neigbohr, he is not open to any sugestion

There is a wall on the property line? Sounds like you may have to prune the roots on your side of that wall.

Report This Post