Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Construction & Hazards    Pecan Tree Covered With Fill

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Pecan Tree Covered With Fill
 Login/Join 
<Kenneth Hood>
posted
I am about to purchase a new home with three native pecan trees, two in the back and one on the side of the house. I am concerned about the pecan tree on the side of the house, because the developer placed about three feet of fill with a retaining wall. From what I have heard and read, the tree is not likely to survive. Is there anything that I can do to save the tree or should I let nature take its course? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Report This Post
<Guy>
posted
Reply to post by Kenneth Hood, on March 17, 2003 at 14:55:39:

If there was no preservation plan made, the fill may well be fatal. How far is wall from trunk? How wide is trunk? How porous and deep is the fill? What shape was the tree in pre-fill? these are what an arborist on site would be looking at before advising you. Find one at www.isa-arbor.com
The builder could post a bond on the survival of the trees; if they're important to you that should be a contingency. Don't buy killed trees thinking that free internet advice can save them. That would not be too smart.

Report This Post