Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Construction & Hazards    NADFs Building WITH Trees Workshop

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NADFs Building WITH Trees Workshop
 Login/Join 
<Guy Meilleur>
posted
The chair of our local volunteer tree group has committed to sponsor a NADF's Building WITH Trees workshop. As chair of the Education Committee, I'm expected to promote it. I just learned the fee is $125 and reviews have been mixed. (I've never attended one.)
Has anyone gone to one of these workshops or heard reliable feedback about their quality?
We're committed, but it's early enough to insist on augmenting anywhere content is weak.
My only experience has been trying to nominate projects for a BWT award, only to have my customers gag on the $150. app. fee. Help!

Report This Post
<Scott Cullen>
posted
Reply to post by Guy Meilleur, on October 04, 2001 at 08:52:49:

I attended one several years ago. The instructor was Chuck Stewart who is very knowlegable and experienced. I think the principal benefit would be for builders, developers, planners, architects, engineers, etc. who don't understand the impacts on trees.

A knowledgable arborist probably already knows a lot of the material... but there is a lot about process in addition the tree techie stuff. It's like any conference or seminar or workshop... the more experienced you are the less likely it is that it's all new material for you, but you always get a few nuggets.

Figure out what one tree saved is worth in terms of enjoyment or fines avoided or days sooner you get your project approval or in terms of the number of consulting hours you have to bill to recover the cost..... and $125 is a very minimal investment.

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted
Reply to post by Guy Meilleur, on October 04, 2001 at 08:52:49:

Everything Scott has said is 100% valid, the only thing I would add, is the benefit derived from being among other people who are dealing with the same problems and learning from their experiences and approaches.
As in all things, the "ounce of prevention...". Personally, I would like to see a lot more programs addressing pro-active approaches to tree damage than the retro-active ones.
I have attended two of these workshops and feel they were very good value, the only "negative" I was aware of is that 90%+ of attendees were arborists. Somehow the people these workshops are really tailored for and targeted toward, are either not hearing about them or simply not interested in attending.

James Causton.

Report This Post
<Guy Meilleur>
posted
Reply to post by Scott Cullen, on October 04, 2001 at 08:52:49:

Thanks James and Scott for your impressions. We are going ahead with BWT, and bringing Gary Moll down the day before to show how tree cover is valued on the macro scale with CityGreen, GIS, and other stuff I don't understand.
We are sweetening the BWT appeal to builders by letting all registrants submit a building project site for review. One (at least) will be chosen for local arborists to visit and advise on the day following the workshop. That will give a free optional field day and push that something-for-nothing greed button that everyone has (but some are bigger than others).
Thanks Again, Guy

Report This Post