Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Construction & Hazards    architectural roots

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
architectural roots
 Login/Join 
<carey>
posted
I am looking for a good resource on the root systems of cedar trees. I am designing a house in the northwest Puget Sound region which will, essentially, weave itself through a grove of cedar trees. In order to minimize the impact on the ground we have decided against a concrete footing and foundation method, and will instead design the house/studio upon a series of individual pier footings.

We are still in the initial concept design stages of the project, but I want to start allowing for the space limitations from the very beginning so nothing will have to be compromised later. My present interests are in the typical depth and width of the root system of cedars proportionate to their truck width. The trunk widths on the project site range from 4 feet to six inches. The trees are beautiful. I admit little arboricultural education, only architectural. I would greatly appreciate any suggested resources on the subject. Thank you greatly.

Report This Post
<Scott>
posted
Reply to post by carey, on July 22, 2002 at 20:48:56:

What a great plan. The rules of thumb might not give you enough guidance... but you are in great luck. The International Society of Arboriculture annual conference is in Seattle next week with pre-conference activities starting Saturday. There will be a giant field day Sunday, I think. You will have the best experts in the country and around the world gathered together right at your doorstep.

Lots of brains to pick and you might well find a local expert to hire. I would suggest you hire a Consulting Arborist.

Just go to Arboricultural Links in the headers above and then go to International Society of Arboriculture.

Report This Post
<carey>
posted
Reply to post by Scott, on July 22, 2002 at 20:48:56:

Thank you Scott and also Favero for your advice. Hiring an aborist is surely the only accurate approach. This weekend's field day will be a great place to begin the reasearch.

Thank you for such a helpful forum.

Report This Post