Tree Tech Consulting    The Knothole  Hop To Forum Categories  Construction & Hazards    possible electrocution

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
possible electrocution
 Login/Join 
<Dan>
posted
Does anyone know if spraying high gloss polyurethane onto wooden pole saws compromises the natural insulating properties of the pole? Don't they come that way when you buy them new anyway? Also, what about ropes - are they naturally good insulators (if relatively clean)and safe to use to pull trees or limbs away from high power wires?

Report This Post
<James Causton>
posted
Reply to post by Dan, on February 14, 2003 at 19:05:00:

Hi Dan, I may be mis-reading your question, but it seems to me that you could be wanting to enter a very dangerous area. If you are qualified to work closely enough to energized lines to be concerned about conductivity of poles and ropes, then you should already know the answers to your questions. If, however, you do not have that training, please stay out of the area or get the training. Electricity will always move faster than you can,

Work Safe, James.

Report This Post
<Stephen Wiley>
posted
Reply to post by Dan, on February 14, 2003 at 19:05:00:

Dan,

James, advice is best to follow for your safety.

Several years ago your questions were addressed by the one of the larger power company's here in Oregon.

The answer as I recall is emphatically YES!

Electricity, as explained to me does NOT travel through wire, wood, etc. but rather along the outside where make up of material allows 16 microelements to which one channel is open. In non conductive materials this channel is closed. By applying the polyurethane, you are creating a new outside surface to which this channel will be open. Further, electricity can travel the distance of the circuference of the world 300 times in a fraction of a second. Thus it is possible (if we can keep from starting a fire) to have faster computers and internet's.

Diclaimer: Dan, I am an arborist not an electrician! My explanation may not be exacting of the physical properties. But should be informative enough to say take the best advise and save your life.

Steve

Report This Post