New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome!
 Login/Join 
Exalted Webmaster
posted
Welcome to our new site. Tree Tech Consulting has upgraded its web site and The Knothole, the message board. For all of our regular users, you will find the forum interface a little different. Please take a little time to familiarize yourself with it. And we are working on bringing all the old message threads over, so you will be able to review the archives for past messages and topics. The new search feature will help with that.

We will soon have all the old topic forums back up and running. Stay tuned!

And let us know what you think of the new site. We are always interested in your comments, good, bad or otherwise.

Russ Carlson, webmaster
The Knothole

Posts: 2 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Monday June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a surprise. I hope we still get as much participation as before. Thanks for providing the forum. Why the change? For search-ability? Security issues?

Posts: 1 | Location: Paradise, CA, USA | Registered: Wednesday June 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark,

I think this site will generate more do to the features available.Smile May take a little time to adjust too them. But I like it so far!

Several previous requested reasons (back to its inception) for changes included: search for posts, notification of replys to posts, all recent posts,etc.Cool

Posts: 25 | Location: Silverton, Oregon | Registered: Thursday June 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I'm the son of the owner/webmaster, and helped with the setup of the new site and design.

Infopop has been making message board software for about six or seven years now, and they've gotten really good at it. The old Knothole system, in my opinion, was seriously out of date -- although it was certainly workable for its time, message boards can handle so much more now.

A few of the things that are gained:
  • Searchability
  • New post notification
  • Message attachments
  • Handy UBB code for message formatting
  • A sleek style!

The one possible drawback (depending on your point of view) is that the UBB.x system that the Knothole now uses is not a threaded board, but rather a straight-down system. However, the organization of each forum shouldn't make it too difficult to follow the system, and I do suggest that you use the "QUOTE" feature to post excerpts of the message that you're replying to, for convenience.

Right now, we're also trying to import the old messages from the previous board -- that should be ready within the next couple of days.

If anyone's got questions, please ask -- I'll be here often for the next few days to answer them. Smile

”Being a Mac user is like being a Navy Seal: a small, elite group of people with access to the most sophisticated technology in the world, whom everyone calls on to get the really tough jobs done quickly and efficiently.” – R. Welch, CEO, General Motors

Posts: 3 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Thursday June 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carlson:Hello,I'm the son of the owner/webmaster, and helped with the setup of the new site and design.

Dan, you have done an excellent job:!: Your support for your Dad in this is much appreciated by all participants.

[QUOTE="Dan"]If anyone's got questions, please ask -- I'll be here often for the next few days to answer them. Smile[/quote]

Is the 'signature' what you have placed your "mac user" message in profile?

Also could you give a little more explanation to the application of a personal avatar in profile?

Yesterday, I entered a message in "Dear Editor" it required ??? to which I entered "Accolades" since I had already entered a topic. I did not see this on the post and hope that I did not enter something you do not need. Is this an application for New posts only.

What are the icons </>, and the last on the right as I do not get popup i.d. when pointing to them?

Posts: 25 | Location: Silverton, Oregon | Registered: Thursday June 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
-- A signature is just some bit of text that you may choose to place at the end of your message. Some people might put their real name there if they're using a screen name as their Member ID, for example. I just like to put amusing quotes there...

(I and some other long-time Infopop users have been asking for some kind of separater to be automatically added between the main message and the signature, but that hasn't been added to the system just yet, unfortunately.)

-- The personal avatar is basically a place for you to put your personal photo or some other related image. Some boards (usually the less serious ones like the Star Trek-oriented fan communities I go to) use them for little icons that can appear under your name in the messages themselves on the left column -- but that probably won't be done here.

-- For the icons at the top of the reply field, you should try clicking on them to get the result. They're not pure pop-ups like the tabs on the main pages. (A strange inconsistency, I know!)

-- One small tip: just type "QUOTE" instead of "QUOTE='Dan'", because the UBB system that we're using doesn't have that ability. I don't know if something like that is even going to be added...

”Being a Mac user is like being a Navy Seal: a small, elite group of people with access to the most sophisticated technology in the world, whom everyone calls on to get the really tough jobs done quickly and efficiently.” – R. Welch, CEO, General Motors

Posts: 3 | Location: Bear, DE USA | Registered: Thursday June 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello every one i am new here just want to try this out ok my nake is wildchild been climbing for 4 yeras now thanks for the welcome

Posts: 15 | Location: otterbein IN | Registered: Friday November 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<twentygirl>
posted
Good evening folks, I'm new here. I have been reading thru the threads, and there is some crazy people here, do you have room for 1 more?

Bye

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mark willcox>
posted
there is room for 100 more

<VladTheImpaler>
posted
LINDENHURST, N.Y. — Three thieves who allegedly stole 14 global positioning system devices didn't get away with their crime for long. The devices led police right to their home.

Town officials said the thieves didn't even know what they had: they thought the GPS devices were cell phones, which they planned to sell.

According to Suffolk County police, the GPS devices were stolen Monday night from the Town of Babylon Public Works garage in Lindenhurst. The town immediately tapped its GPS system, and it showed that one of the devices was inside a house. Police said that when they arrived there, Kurt Husfeldt, 46, had the device in his hands.

Husfeldt was charged with criminal possession of stolen property. His 13-year-old son also was arrested on grand larceny charges.

Town officials said the boy committed the burglary with Steven Mangiapanella, 20, also of Lindenhurst. He was charged with grand larceny.

Babylon installed 300 GPS devices in snow plows, dump trucks, street sweepers and other vehicles last January.

<Oakwilt>
posted
Glad to see the board running - it's been a couple years and thousands of trees since I've been on.

Looking forward to sharing information.

Oakwilt (Reed from Texas)

posted Hide Post
Hey, Exalted Webmaster Dude & Most Excellent Administrator Dude i like where all you people take me on this talking typewriter and the upgrade to the scenery of the KNOTHOLE since I've been popping in and out. A most excellent place with an assortment of characters.Keep up the good work and the offering of education to the industry.
Yes, I like this millenium thing, I'm coming out of the eight track days!!!! Darbo

Posts: 22 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: Sunday July 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post